Wednesday 14 December 2016

Google Maps | Santa Tracker

It's (Almost) Christmas!
With a little over ten days to go, at the time of writing this blog post, Google's Santa Tracker is counting down the days to Christmas.  For those celebrating, if you are anything like me you will find it magical and fascinating how the man in red is able to make it to all the houses in the world and now thanks to Google you can follow live.

Novelty aside this year's experience has a strong emphasis on learning:

Santa’s Village, which opened on 1st December, allow visitors to learn code, put your geography knowledge to the test and learn different languages, greetings and traditions.  Each day in a similar fashion to an advent calendar, a new 'gift' is unlocked, and chocolate is replaced with an educational game.

I have selected my top three:

Grade One & Two

Central Idea: Communities make efforts to create transportation systems that meet their needs.

I wonder how Santa, his Elves and North American Aerospace Defense Command NORAD ensure that all the presents are delivered around the world in one night?

Transportation Systems

Grade One 

Central Idea: Celebrations and traditions are expressions of shared beliefs and values. 

Growing up in England I always enjoyed pulling Christmas crackers around the table with my family. Is there any particular traditions you enjoy around this time of year.  Leave me a comment, I would love to hear about them.


Holiday Traditions

An interactive map with colourful, clickable pins that educate about holiday traditions around the world.  You might also like to visit grade one's inquiry Padlet to learn more.


Elementary School

Christmas (& Santa Claus) in any language

I would love to speak Elfish.  I wonder, how do you say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in your mother-tongue.  Leave me a comment, with your response and where in the world you're viewing from.



This is an easy one...                                                          This one is not so easy....





I would like to take this time to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and all the very best for the new year.  

~Mr Towse

No comments:

Post a Comment